Friday, November 8, 2013

New Beginnings

Here’s the whole story in all its glory.

I created my first painting the summer of 2012.

No one in my family was really interested in art except my father. So of course, I took a picture and sent it to him immediately for critique. I started off painting the canvas red, it was a small 9” by 11” canvas because I figured I should start small.

The red stayed on the canvas for a week because my mind was blank, I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do next. Then, I happened to go visit the MET museum in NYC and came back very, very inspired! Suddenly I had all these ideas but not enough time to capture them on canvas.

I wanted viewers to think about what they were seeing, and come up with their own meaning from it. Strangely, until I finished the painting and took a picture of it, I hadn't noticed how some places the white has merged with the red and become a shade of pink almost.

Normally, I think I’d probably tweak something like that, since it could be distracting. But surprisingly, I really liked that in the painting. After completing it, I also sent a picture to my baby brother who suddenly has a love for art. He immediately wanted me to send it to him as a gift ASAP. So this one’s not for sale but then I created a bigger version of it and that is for sale on saatchi.com.

Here’s a picture of that very first painting. I’d like to hear what you think of it.





No comments:

Post a Comment